Friday, July 23, 2010

FINALLY...

I have joined the world of mommy bloggers!  I have been wanting to start a blog for quite some time... not because I especially enjoy writing or feel that I have much of a knack for it (you may want to stop reading now if you're hoping for one of those "witty", funny blogs), but because I wanted a place to share some of the things I have learned (and am currently learning) as a new mom.

I would have to say that my "go to" resource as a new mom is definitely The Baby Book by Dr. William Sears.  I can't remember how I originally stumbled upon this book, but coincidentally, I was reading the book at my in-laws house during my first pregnancy and my mother-in-law said "Oh, I love that book!  Dr. Sears was {my hubby's} pediatrician!"  I'm so grateful that my MIL is a Dr. Sears lover, because his methods are a little controversial and it's wonderful to have family support rather than scorn when it comes to the way we parent our little munchkin. 

We believe that a child won't be "spoiled" by being held too much; rather "Spoiling is what happens when you leave something (or some person) alone on the shelf -- it spoils." (Sears, 195)  I am a strong advocate of baby wearing.  It made adjusting to life as a new mom even easier than I expected, because I was able to get back in to the swing of things so quickly.  My baby would sleep and nurse in the baby wrap while I did dishes, vacuumed, and went shopping.  Even now, at 21 months, I normally carry my daughter in a baby wrap rather than pushing her in a cart or a stroller.  (I plan to upload some tutorials on how to make and use a baby wrap, but in the mean time please visit http://www.gypsymama.com/using.htm for some wonderful video tutorials.)

We also strongly believe in co-sleeping and we love our family bed.  As a new mom I never suffered the lack of sleep I had heard so many horror stories about, and I believe it is because of our choice to co-sleep.  Sure, I had to wake up a few times a night with my newborn to nurse her and change her but I kept a diaper caddy next to my bed so I never had to leave my bed until morning.  Babies sleep safely with their parents all over the world, and The Baby Book offers much advice on how to do so SAFELY!  I've heard many friends say they're worried their baby will never want to sleep alone if they co-sleep as a baby, and while that's a bridge we haven't come to yet, I'm confident our munchkin won't be sleeping with us when she graduates high school.  The Sears family successfully "weaned" six children from their bed, and my in-laws did as well, so when the time comes I know I'll have some great sources of advice and support. (And I'll be sure to blog about it too!)

Baby wearing and co-sleeping are just a couple of the aspects of attachment parenting I plan to write about on this blog.  I definitely don't think I'm an expert in any of these areas, but I hope to be able to share my experiences, as well as provide links to articles and blogs written by REAL experts, in an effort to help other new parents who would like to learn more about attachment parenting.

3 comments:

christa said...

Yea!! SO glad you've finally joined the blogging world Xela! I'm adding you to my "have-to read" list. :) Can't wait to hear what you have to share! <3 christa

The Happy Hippie Homemaker said...

Thanks Christa :) Hopefully that link to the baby wrap site will be helpful, since I don't think I was able to demonstrate very well last time I saw you!

Annegirl said...

This is fun :)...can't wait to get a peek into your cute family's life by reading this! You did a great job showing us how to wrap btw..and thanks for the link! My memory isn't too awesome these days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...